Monday, 31 December 2012
Saturday, 8 December 2012
This has been an incredibly odd month.
I've become a Koro (Grandfather in Maori), been trying to complete and proof-read my and colleagues' end-of-year reports been trying to help my students complete their last minute assessments, been trying to understand the new Level 3 standards for next year, been trying to organise next year's timetable and of course, trying to keep on top of all of the housework while my Beloved is away in the UK.
Then it got better... and worse.
First, the good news.
Ringo is departing.
He told us (the timetable committee) on Thursday that he's resigning and leaving to take up a new PPTA post.
After the cheering had died down (he looked a bit miffed for some reason at our obvious joy) I got some other news.
The Principal (Dancing Bear) has asked me to step in as acting Deputy Principal for at least the first term of 2013, which means a whole shit-load of extra duties and responsibilities, as well as continue as the Head of ICT (Computing) and to keep on doing relief.
I think I can do it, but it's worrying.
I can always try to emulate Ringo's style and do the following:
- Piss off every teacher in the school and make at least 5 leave.
- Become over-friendly with the pupils.
- Ignore the bad behaviour of the pupils and tell everyone it's purely due to the home environment and blame the post-colonisation mindset of the Pakeha (Europeans)
- Forget to tell ANYONE what my plans are.
- Ignore deadlines and all important duties.
- Grunt at colleagues passing in corridors as a form of greeting.
- Bully the staff into accepting that THEY are always in the wrong.
- Speak in a condescending manner to all and sundry, with a nasal Mancunian accent.
- Screw up every computerised system available.
- Lose 3 laptops in one year.
- Insist that the students develop their skills in creating computerised portfolios and keep all their work on the "cloud" where it will promptly disappear.
If/when I take up the post, I'll try and keep Ringo's attitudes and behaviours in the forefront of my mind, and will try and always do the f*cking opposite of what he did.
I can't wait.