For blogs with less than 300 Followers

For blogs with less than 300 Followers
Thanks to Hestia's Larder for this delightful award.
(For Blogs with less than 300 Followers)

Monday 23 January 2012

Back Home

Last view with morning coffee of Hawkes Bay

Most of the holiday is over now, and I'll be starting back at Nuova Lazio High School next week.



The kids don't really arrive until the 30th, but we've all got a lot of work to do before then.

Richard[of RBB] will be cleaning out his department's music rooms.  Smashing every ukulele he can find, polishing his frets, fretting about his polishes, restringing his instruments (We've heard he's got a new leather G-string he wants to try out)
Just for Richard [of RBB]

Dancing Bear will be full of enthusiasm and new ideas, but will probably try and do too much again.

Runner will be holding the whole lot together and practicing her "nasty teacher" look for all those staff who didn't complete her required Post Professional Learning Feedback Form and Unfinished Homework"


Ringo will be doing what he wants as usual, and good luck to him, because if he thinks I'm going to help him set up the reports he's got another think coming (And if the Universe is the least bit reasonable) an aneurysm as well.
Please


Ex-Clive probably won't be there, although I'm already looking for  reliever for day 1.
Mind you, if we get more unseasonal snow as happened in Queenstown, he might be off skiing again.  I really don't know what he finds attractive about skiing.



Our new teachers will be arriving, full of enthusiasm and bright new ideas.

I look on it as my duty, as an elder statesman (grumpy old cynical bastard) to make sure these new entrants to our profession learn the basic survival skills.


  1. Learn the kids' names.
  2. Don't let a kid get between you and your escape route.
  3. Always keep a large metal object close to hand (A cosh doesn't quite cut it these days)
  4. Get your work planned out at least 30 minutes in advance.  Preparation is all.
  5. Buy a flak jacket and wear it.
  6. NEVER trust Ringo.
  7. No matter how bad the day, remember:
    1. Tomorrow could/may/probably/will be worse
    2. Never start drinking BEFORE the end of school
  8.  NEVER go off sick.
  9. Start planning your retirement NOW.
Memories of Hawke's Bay will keep me going for at least a week, and then I think it'll be Valium time again.  Or Macallan.

10 comments:

  1. It's good to have you back TSB. It has been pretty lonely over on Richard's Bass Bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I really don't know what he finds attractive about skiing."

    Are you taking the piste, TSB?

    A quick search revealed about 144,000 sites relating to nude skiing.

    Note this, from http://www.abc-of-skiing.com/info/nude-skiing.asp:
    "Naked Skiing Spots
    Stripping off may be illegal in some countries, but it has been accounted that Skiing spots in the US, Austria, New Zealand, London and Czech Republic are known to have visitors who indeed disrobe their chunky Ski garb for their birthday suits. Ski Resorts are gradually softening up to this bare concept...."

    I live in hope of experiencing some of these skiiers in the flesh, so to speak. Don't bother phoning me in winter.

    - ex-Clive

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just say no. Another trip is what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! Had a good time? I don't like the sound of your life much. Back to school. I'd go for the Scotch.

    I know, those glasses are way too small but they are the only ones that fit on the tray.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your photo sourcing ability and Id go for Talisker not macallan.
    Happy New Year>

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard [of RBB]: Thank you, it's nice to be back. Maybe you need more bus stops?

    Anon (ex-Clive): Yes, I do believe i am taking the piste. HAHAHA
    My goodness, I didn't mean for you to go to extremes, and I sincerely hope your extremities don't suffer if you get a bit carried away.

    Laoch: No is my favourite word. Unless whisky is offered. Unfortunately, I need to work to make money to afford another trip.

    YONKS: Thanks, it's nice to be back, sort of. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.
    *sobs into whisky*
    Ah well.
    I understand about the glasses, anyway, you could always offer 2 or 3 at a time.

    Northern Snippet: Actually I do prefer Talisker to The Macallan, and prefer Laphroig to Talisker, but I thought the photo of The Macallan looked more aposite somehow. Thanks for the positive comment about the photos, I think it's because of :

    A. I've got years of skill development in choosing keywords for searches.

    B. I've got a huge library of previously downloaded images.

    C. I've got a mind like a sewer.

    Happy New Year; may all your customers be hungry, polite and very generous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back! I'm sorry you have to go back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Make the most of the child-free days of empty corridors! And I assume you oly have a few weeks ever to go until half term? (Or are your terms all weird and Kiwi?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patience_Crabstick: Thanks; it's nice to be in communication again. I'm sorry I have to go back to work as well. *sob*

    looby: I will. I just wish they were teacher-free as well. Or even Ringo-free for the next century. For some strange reason, we don't have any half-term holidays in Kiwiland (also known as Godzone), but we do have a 1 day holiday 1 week after we start. Go figure. (a Kiwi expression closely analogous to: What The F*ck)

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Northern Snippet: Actually I do prefer Talisker to The Macallan, and prefer Laphroig to Talisker, but I thought the photo of The Macallan looked more aposite somehow."

    Each to their own.

    I have been to most of the distilleries and tried lots of the nectar at various ageings. What I noticed is that the strong 'Western' Malts with the seaweed/iodine character like talisker and Laphroaig tend to be quite similar by different vintages whereas the 'Highland' Malts do show more subleties with different barrel ageings and by different 'vintages'. Without doubt the most sublime I ever had was Tamdhu 15y.o. sadly never to be found again (by me).

    By the way, your pics of skiing happily re-awakens fond memories.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Site Meter