For blogs with less than 300 Followers

For blogs with less than 300 Followers
Thanks to Hestia's Larder for this delightful award.
(For Blogs with less than 300 Followers)

Saturday 2 October 2010

The Kool Kat Jazz Klub

We went to a night of Jazz at the Expressions in Upper Hutt, by the New Zealand Youth Jazz Orchestra.  It was made up of school kids from all round NZ, who give up their school holidays and practice and perform Instrumental and Vocal Jazz pieces all around the North Island.  The Orchestra had Sax's, Trumpets, Trombones, a Vibraphone, Piano, Bass and Acoustic Guitar and a Percussion section, but no Double Bass.

They had a Musical Director, Steve Houghton, who had come over from the USA just to lend his expertise to the kids.  They played with a passion and a skill level which was fascinating to watch, and they were all obviously having a great time.  The hall was full, no empty seats, and it was a much varied audience, from about 6 to 80.  This is one of the things I love about NZ.  Any type of community production is pretty well supported, which doesn't always happen in the UK.

I mentioned before how I really couldn't stand amateurish productions, but I had no complaints about this one. 
But, I found I did not get at all involved in the music.  All around me, people  (including my beloved) were nodding, foot-tapping in tune with the music, but it left me alone.  I don't mean I found it unpleasant, it just left me completely unmoved.  I spent most of the time in a mental planning exercise about our school's new timetable, and how I could fit in some classes.

This is strange, as we have been to many musical performances, Opera (shudder), Musical Theatre, Operetta, Ballet and Classical Instrumental and Vocal.  I didn't always enjoy all of the music (especially some of the opera) but I was often involved, and especially so with the Classical performances.  Play me Bruch or Mendelssohn or Dvorak or Beethoven or the like, and I am completely transported, in a little world that consists of nothing but the music and me.  But not this Jazz.  I would go again, as my beloved obviously enjoyed it, but I think it would take some mind-altering medication (or maybe even some Lagavullin) before I could start to appreciate it.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Site Meter