For blogs with less than 300 Followers

For blogs with less than 300 Followers
Thanks to Hestia's Larder for this delightful award.
(For Blogs with less than 300 Followers)

Tuesday 14 November 2023

Glasgow on my Birthday (71)

 


Now that I've got your attention (in the tradition of m'blog) I can continue with an account of our (SWMBO and myself) visit to Glasgow, to celebrate my 71st birthday.


Glasgow is my home city.  I was brought up there, and stayed there, until 4 years after we got married, we moved to the East Coast of Scotland.

I always used to enjoy going into the city at the weekends, it felt vibrant, interesting and welcoming.


Not any more.

It felt seedy, rundown and slightly threatening.

We stayed in a modern "boutique" hotel in the city centre, having travelled by bus from our home in Carnoustie. We used the bus because it's free.  Any bus travel in Scotland is free for all over 65 (and under 16)

NOTE: Boutique in this case means clean, reasonably comfortable, with a minimum of guest facilities.  BUT our room's lighting system was colour adjustable!  I cannot express my excitement at this feature.


Our hotel is marked with a 1



We walked to Glasgow green in a pleasant early winter day, not too cold or windy, but with crisp blue skies. My dad used to tell me that this part of Glasgow, near Glasgow green, used to be a very tough area, police never walked this beat on there own, but always with a partner, or in larger groups.  The worst slum in the city, and probably Scotland was here.  it was called the Gorbals.

On our walk, the Gorbals could now be seen as a gentrified area, all the old tenements had gone, and modern attractive housing was now in evidence.


As we approached the entrance to the People's Palace I could see the old Templeton's Carpet factory.  Built in 1892, it is an unusually attractive building, copied from the Doge's Palace in Venice.  Built in an age where people had a pride in their buildings.




There was also a large terracotta fountain standing at the entrance to the People's Palace.  The Doulton Fountain. (see here for more information. The Doulton Fountain )

The Doulton Fountain, with my beloved (aka SWMBO)


And finally we were at the People's palace, really a small museum with exhibits reflecting the life and growth of the city.



On the way back to the hotel, we passed the barras. Originally a flea market at the turn of the 19/20 th centuries, it slowly transformed to a covered general goods market, and then a dance hall, Barrowland, was added.  So it's a rather strange mix.


That night went to SARTI, a very good Italian restaurant, and had a glorious meal.


Next day, bus to The Burrell Collection, an art museum in the Southern part of the city.  Took about 40 minutes to get there.

Wonderful exhibition, SWMBO was greatly taken by the chinese ceramics, and I gravitated to the French Impressionists, with The Château of Médan being my favourite.



Strolled through the city centre on our last day.  It felt run-down, lots of beggars and more shut shops.  I did manage to buy myself a dinner suit at Slaters, a Glasgow institution.  I remember my Dad helped me buy my first suit there in the early 70s., ready for our next cruise in March, when we fly to Singapore for 3 weeks to celebrate Chinese new year, and my niece's Birthday.


Had our last meal at the Anchor Line, supposedly a very good restaurant, but i found it a bit disappointing.  Their lobster and king prawn bisque was very good, but their sirloin steak wasn't great, and the peppercorn sauce was, frankly, nasty.  Good chips though.



Then back to Carnoustie on the bus.



6 comments:

  1. Buon compleanno. Tanti auguri a te.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whit’s fur ye’ll no go past ye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy BD you auld rattle snake. Just look at the girl. It's maddening. Sometimes I envy eunuchs. I realy do!

    Were your accommodations and meals reasonable? Did you receive good value for what you paid? A shame about the poorer quarters but this is the natural progression, I'm afraid.

    I would love to travel to the far east but the clock is ticking and it look unlikely. Perhaps I can make it as far as Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, you NYC expatriate. I haven't quite reached the stage of envying eunuchs, but who knows what's to come. The hotel was OK, but only for a short stay, and reasonably priced for what it was, clean warm and safe. Good food in the restaurants nearby. We spent a day in Hawaii earlier this year, and would definitely want to go back, so maybe you could try that, as half-way to the far East. Are you going to start posting again? How's the family?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Site Meter