For blogs with less than 300 Followers

For blogs with less than 300 Followers
Thanks to Hestia's Larder for this delightful award.
(For Blogs with less than 300 Followers)

Tuesday 5 April 2011

The Spirit is Willing....


Nuova Lazio High is having a Spirit Week, starting on Wednesday.

Obviously someone got it wrong, it's more like ½ Spirit Week, however, fun though it is being so pedantic (I am a teacher.  What did you expect?) there are more serious issues involved.

The purpose of the Spirit Week is to try and raise the Team Spirit of the whole school, to support the house system.  Every pupil and teacher is allocated to a house and we are expected to support our own group in a variety of activities.  Some of our younger and more enthusiastic staff are really getting into it, arranging all sorts of activities.

Enthusiasm is just so tiring
I must admit that I'm a bit vague on the whole setup. All I care about is:
Will it effect my classes who are deep in their assessments?
Will I have to set relief for teachers poncing about in fancy dress?
Will the kids go mad with THREE DAYS OF MUFTI?

The answer to all three questions is yes, so I'm therefore against the whole stupid idea.

I've never seen a school where an artificial and entirely arbitrary method of grouping works.
The kids have no connections to their group.  There is no physical centre to their house, it's just a colour.

Waste of bloody time. 

I'm losing about an hour of assessments with my seniors, and they're not very happy about it either.

But what really irritates me is the 3 days of mufti. We've been trying, with less than sparkling success, to impose the school rules on uniform to all of our pupils for the past 9 weeks.  Now they're told "Wear what you like for 3 days". The occasional single mufti day, with a contribution to a good cause, was just bearable, but the student's discipline on those days was noticeably worse.  THREE DAYS is just too much, the little sods will go hyperbolic and hyperactive.

Sometimes I think our teachers go a bit too far on Mufti Days
Waste of bloody time.

I think I'll have my own Spirit Week, but it won't be about houses and raising school morale.  It'll be about the only real spirit I care about.

Sláinte Mhath

1 comment:

  1. "I've never seen a school where an artificial and entirely arbitrary method of grouping works.
    The kids have no connections to their group. There is no physical centre to their house, it's just a colour.
    Waste of bloody time."
    So true. So true.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Site Meter