For blogs with less than 300 Followers

For blogs with less than 300 Followers
Thanks to Hestia's Larder for this delightful award.
(For Blogs with less than 300 Followers)

Wednesday 11 May 2011

70,000 and Not Well.


Thanks to all who visit my blog.

I've given up trying to figure out why.


In the recent posts I've mentioned that I'm not feeling very well.  I've got a very annoying "tummy upset", and I just don't feel 100%, more like 75%.  It sometimes gets a bit difficult trying to teach a class then interrupting your lesson to sprint off to the loo. 

Norovirus

I reckon it's either Norovirus or Cryptosporidium, and more probably Cryptosporidium, as I only get mild nausea and no vomiting (yet).

Cryptosporidium parvum, eating on the intestinal villi

There's no treatment for either, just drink plenty of fluids and be extra careful with hygiene (wash hands very carefully)

For some reason, there are many people I know feeling a bit poorly at the moment.

At school, Geordie Guy is off with badly swollen hands, one of our Maths teachers has hurt his back, a young Science teacher is undergoing more medical tests.   Ali X of Hestia's Larder is going into hospital tomorrow for a cholecystectomy (don't worry Ali, all will be well) and there are many of our pupils coming down with D & V.

My Year 10s were working well yesterday, and as is my wont, I gave the class permission to relax for the last 5 minutes to use their computers for any valid reason.. Some carried on with their work (Bless their little cotton socks), some were blogging, some were reading the news, some were gaming, or trying to as most gaming sites are blocked by our Internet filters.

During this time, I generally wander around the class, seeing what they are doing.  Partly to check that they're not doing anything naughty, but mostly just to interact with them, getting to know more about their interests and problems.  One young (slightly stroppy) lady (SSL) started a conversation with me, which went in an unusual direction.  It went like this.

Always check the small print!

SSL: "Can I ask you a question Mistah?"

Me: "Yes"

SSL: "Do you believe in God?"

Me: *pause for 5 seconds* "Not really"

(Class is getting quieter as they start to listen to the exchange)

SSL:  "Oh Mistah, that's terrible, you've got to believe in the Lord Almighty"

Me: "No, I don't believe you do.  Everyone is allowed to believe what they want.  My wife is a regular churchgoer, but I'm not.  I'm a scientist.  I need proof, and I've never seen any"

SSL:  "Oh Mistah, all you have to do is believe"

Me: "It would be nice to be able to believe, that there's a nice loving omnipotent being looking after us, but I just don't.  I need proof"  (I had to go back and explain omnipotent; see, always Literacy Development)

The bell went then, and as it was lunchtime, there was a rush to get logged off and away.

Our pupils going to lunch

I stayed behind for a few minutes, to check all the computers were OK and to put the chairs back.  While I was doing this, I was also thinking about my conversation with SSL.  She was quite intelligent, but had problems with keeping up a reasonable work rate.  She had been stood down from school last term for swearing at a teacher, and her attitude to work and authority was a bit questionable.  I hadn't known she was such an ardent Christian.  (I know I'm making a bit of an assumption here, but she used the term Lord Almighty, which usually comes from a follower of the Christian faith.  I suppose she could be referring to Satan, but I really doubt it).  Maybe the next time she gives me any problems, I could threaten her with going to Hell for not finishing her work.

Worth a try.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't needed an imginary friend since I was kid.

    Get well soon TSB. It's hard when it goes on for so long....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Site Meter